SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power tool for sanding toe rail
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

RossC32 is on a distinguished road
Re: Power tool for sanding toe rail

Thanks to all those who made suggestions regarding the toe-rail. I eventually tried out a heat-gun, an oscillating sander and cabinet scrapers, along with the usual paint scrapers and sand paper. I thought I would share my experiences and thoughts with you.

First, a word about the job itself. The toe-rail on my boat consists of a top piece, or cap, about 2 inches wide and ˝ inch thick, and an outboard piece about 2.5 inches wide. I’ll call this the rub-rail, though it isn’t really. This means there are three different surfaces to deal with
an inboard vertical section of ˝ an inch,
a top, horizontal section of about 2 inches and
an outboard vertical section of ~3 inches (cap + rub-rail)

The problem with the outboard vertical section is that sometimes the cap sticks out a bit from the rub-rail and sometimes it’s flush. Furthermore, the rub-rail sometimes sticks out from the hull and in some places is actually recessed a bit from the lip of the hull/deck joint. Nowhere is there a nice, flat vertical surface to clean.

Now my experiences with the different approaches. I’ve broken the rest into 3 messages that people can comment on the different approaches separately.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook