SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power tool for sanding toe rail
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

RossC32 is on a distinguished road
Re: Power tool for sanding toe rail

Cabinet scrapers: When the surface was easy to get at and not concave or convex, a cabinet scraper worked very well IF I set it up the “hook” just right. When I got everything right, the old Cetol just peeled off in lovely shavings. However, I had trouble with setting up the ‘hook’. Even when I thought I had done everything the same at either end of a scraper, sometimes one end was far more effective than the other. Also, I think the scrapers I got were too thick. I purchased a couple of 1 mm scrapers from Lee Valley because the website suggested these were the right thing for paint scraping. I think thinner would have been better because I could have flexed the scraper a little more when doing slightly concave or convex surfaces. The coaming covers in particular were a problem. They looked like nice flat surfaces but it was clear from the way the shavings came off that they were more undulating than flat. The larger scrapers were no good on the outboard vertical surfaces where the cap and the rub rail were not flush and the hull lip extended past the rub-rail. I used ‘mini’ scrapers here, occasionally, with some success.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook