SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cockpit drains
Thread: Cockpit drains
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

nereussenex is on a distinguished road
Re: Cockpit drains

I know this topic has been cooled for 2 years or so, but there are still new guys like me who are coming fresh to the problem. I share a Nic 38 centre cockpit motorsailer with a friend and we are seriously worried about going blue-water without doing something about the cockpit drainage. We have (as designed) 2 x 0.5" dia skin fittings (one port, one starboard, linked to 4 x 0.5" pipes at floor level, not crossed. The floor is just about 3" above the waterline. When sailing with the drains open, we get a little water in the cockpit coming up the drains. I dread to think how long it would take to drain a cockpitful if we got a big wave on board...... though actually it would trickle/pour down into the engine space and thence to the bilge, where we could pump it out. But if we got swamped repeatedly, then the water going to bilge would win against he pumps, the waterline would go down and the drains would sink us.
So I want to put in some 2" dia drains maybe 2 each side. We cannot go to transom as there is not enough freeboard to do so. We are also thinking about raising the cockpit floor by about 4" and bringing the drains up to this height. Comments please! My buddy wants to sail to the Canary Isles from Portugal, where we are wintering, but I object until this problem is solved.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook