SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full or fin keel?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

BryceGTX is on a distinguished road
Re: Full or fin keel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
We are talking here about a 40 class racer and about an Oceanis 41. Go to an experienced sailor that know both boats and tell him that the Oceanis is more seaworthy because it is a tender boat with a bigger mass and the guy will start to laugh. Regards

Paulo
LOL.. I will laugh also. I never said a tender boat is more seaworthy. You inferred it. I said that a stiff boat was not Steady. These are radically different concepts.

A steady boat has a large mass moment and less stiffness than a stiff race boat. It is exactly the huge mass and lower stiffness that makes it steady. On the other hand the simple example you pointed out shows that a more tender boat is not necessarily seaworthy nor steady. On the other hand, a steady boat is more tender than a stiff boat. You confused that all tender boats are also steady.

On the other hand, not sure I would call the Oceanis tender. It just is not as stiff as a racer. And It is not a rough water boat as I have pointed out in the past. And in no shape or form is a stiff racer a rough water boat.

But its good that you pointed this out. Others may have also missed the point.
Bryce

Last edited by BryceGTX; 10-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook