SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power tool for sanding toe rail
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough
Re: Power tool for sanding toe rail

Quote:
When I got everything right, the old Cetol just peeled off in lovely shavings.
Yup. That's how it's supposed to work. I tend to make specialty scrapers in whatever profile that I need. Sometimes, it's a concave 1" scraper or 1" convex. The variations are infinite. I tend to use a convex blade for 80% of what I scrape, rotating it toward the edge if I need a fine line.

Quote:
a cabinet scraper worked very well IF I set it up the “hook” just right. When I got everything right, the old Cetol just peeled off in lovely shavings. Even when I thought I had done everything the same at either end of a scraper, sometimes one end was far more effective than the other.
If you stick at it, you will be able to set the hook reliably. It's just a matter of practice and I had the same problem at first and nearly abandoned the tool.

The old woodworkers like my grandfather could fly through a job like a toerail. Both my father and grandfather warned me away from exclusive power tool use - many jobs are wrecked by power tools in inexperienced hands. The quiet and efficiency of a well tuned scraper, like a well tuned plane, is a thing of beauty. And you have total control.