SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help me decide - Mooring bitt or cleat?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012
Junior Senior

heinzir is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me decide - Mooring bitt or cleat?

Bitts/bollards are very good for dock lines and for towing but for attaching a permanent home mooring your best bet, IMHO, is to use the bow eye. Your boat is small enough to be trailerable and no doubt has a strong eye on the bow for the trailer winch line. Just make sure the eye is well backed up (as you would a cleat, bitt, or bollard.) The advantages of using the bow eye instead of a fitting on deck are that there will be absolutely no chafe of the mooring line, and the lower attachment point effectively increases the "scope" of the mooring.

I have two pendants attached to my 23' cutter's home mooring. One is 3/4" diameter and connects to the bow eye with a 1/2" dia stainless locking caribiner. This is the primary mooring line. A slightly longer 5/8" line attaches to the bow cleat and serves as both a backup and a pick-up line. It holds the boat securely while I tidy everything up before leaving in the dinghy. I attach the primary line to the bow eye from the dinghy.

This has worked well for me for over 30 years with this boat. Note that this is how I have set up my home mooring; it would not necessarily work with a transient mooring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook