SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Aspiring sailor searching for boats.

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  youmeandthed 
G
#1 ·
Hello all, for as much experience I have gained on the water, none of it has been through sailing. I am extremely interested and I've already started saving to purchase one. With that being said, I need some direction on what to look for. I would like a boat that I can grow into bc I am definitely light on cash. I've seen used 18 footers going for under 5k or a larger boat for under 10k. Also, a boat that I could spend some amount of time in (with a cabin) and be able to operate by myself. I would love a used boat. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Yeah, delete the other, identical post. ;)

#3 ·
Before you buy a boat, I highly suggest taking a formal course and learn to sail. Be sure it is right for you and then you won't learn bad habits on your own. I've seen surprisingly good results from the week long, liveaboard intense course, where you get ASA certifications. They are also useful if you ever intend to charter.

Advising on what boat to buy is just too hard with limited information. Where will you sail? Do you want to be able to stay aboard for a night? Trailer it or stay at a slip/mooring. Auxiliary motor or no? The good news is, if you have $5 to $10k, there are countless options. The warning is, at those prices, you have to be very very careful and educated on what you buy. A single serious problem, like having to replace sails, standing rigging, wet cores or a diesel, could double the cost of the boat.

#4 ·
Neah, easy to recommend a boat... a Catalina 22. Done.

PS: If you can't glean it from my sarcastic typing... that was sarcasm. Honestly you need to give us more information about what you wanna accomplish. There are tons of used quality boats available right now, from racing dinghy's new, to classy blue-water capable well used. Each comes with their own plusses and minuses.

#5 ·
You're going to get lots of information here - keep in mind it's worth exactly what you've paid for it, mine included.
Most of the folks here have never taken a formal sailing class - and while it's not a bad idea, it's not mandatory - and I say that as a sailing instructor. Since you're on a budget, go to the nearest yacht club and offer to crew on race night. You'll get out on the water, meet sailors who will help you out, and learn what sailing's about. No cost.
What I would recommend you take is the Power Squadron or similar, to learn the rules of the road and some basic navigation. That will put you miles ahead of most other boaters. Again, not too expensive.
As for a boat - take your time, get out on OPB (other people's boats), learn what you want and what services that need. Don't do what I did and buy the first boat you can afford - you might, like I did, get a dog because of your lack of knowledge.
Consider donation boats - you can get a lot of boat for little money, provided you're willing and able to fix it up, and you'll learn stuff you need to know in that process.
Good luck - IM me if you have specific questions.

#6 ·
I've never taken a formal class, but have been sailing for 30+ years. I am NO EXPERT, and never expect to be... However, I have still considered taking the classes, I am definitely NOT against it.

The others above (and myself) are trying to help, if you can answer these questions honestly we may be able to point you to some boats that will fit the bill. Keep in mind a budget would help as well, it'll keep us from recommending brand new boat lines for you or boats totally out of what you are hoping for.

#7 ·
Canada and most US states (mostly for boaters born after a certain date in the US but varies by state) require some very basic boating education that can be met by an on-line class, courses such as those offered by the US Power Squadrons, or courses offered by various states. Usually these can be completed in a day or less and do not involve on-the-water training and are not specific to sailing. The state courses may be free.

But, they're still a good introduction to skipper responsibilities, basic boat vocabulary, equipment and legal requirements, basics of navigation, buoys and lights, and responses to emergencies.

#8 ·
Oh no, not another one of these posts. Dude, go online and research. Find a boat that fits into the lifestyle you want. I grew up around boats, not sailboats, but I had taken a course when I was 12 in dinghies.

First sailboat I bought was a Catalina 30 moored 4 blocks from my apartment in Vancouver. It was a great boat and we did some great cruising in it. If you are keeping it moored, get the most boat for the length, if you are planning on going on an extended cruise, get the most equipped and seaworthy boat you can afford.

Make a list of what you want, and then go looking.

Oh and your list will be wrong, but you tend to start ironing out the details on your second, third, fourth boat.....

And when it comes to courses, look at your learning style and do what works best for you. I just watched youtube and practiced on my own boat. It worked out pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.