SailNet Community - View Single Post - another sailor complaining about power boaters
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: another sailor complaining about power boaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandchris View Post
I was out in the bay here on Tuesday and the only boats out were sails. 2.5 miles by 6 miles in the lower bay and no matter how much I corrected to stay away they kept chasing me at cross paths. It's not only power boats, and at least with them it is usually over with quickly.
I presume the were officially the stand-on vessel and should not have maneuvered to give way?

This reminds me, however, that many of us get much more comfortable with how closely we will pass another sailboat than newer sailors could possibly be. I'm reminded of this from time to time, when I can see headway and know we will not pass within 100 feet of a crossing sailboat, but that seems very very close to a passenger.

Its at least possible that the conflicting boat was trying to allow for greater separation to make a passenger comfortable or because they were nervous.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook