SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
First 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
I had not read that the Beneteau First 40CR was not selling well. Any idea if this is actually the case and, if so, why the boat is struggling in the market? Its predecessor - the First 40.7 - was extremely successful, particularly on the race course under IRC and offshore (Sydney-Hobart, etc.).
Hi! One of the ways you have to see if a mass production boat is doing well is looking for the charter market. Yes there also a charter market for performance cruisers even if smaller than the one regarding the one for the typical cruiser: In Croatia were the charter market is huge the Benetau importer has a big fleet of 35 a fleet of 45 and not one 40.

Don’t make me wrong I like the dynamics of the boat its looks and even its interior, fact is that I sounded two years ago the Croatian importer to know about the price I could get one for me and he said to me, he would make me a special price because it was the 1st First 40 he was selling!!!! These several years after the boat were on the market.

The boat that sells badly is the Cruising one, the one that they advertise on the site and is called CR. It is a low tech boat, not even a cored boat (heavy), the one that is inexpensive and that was made to be sold in large numbers.

The top racing boat, the lighter and cored boat (much more expensive) for top racing sells well and is a very good racing boat, especially with bad weather and lots of upwind sailing, but the market for those boats is very limited. The one that they should be selling in large quantities is the one for performance cruising (CR) and occasional club racing and that is the one that is not selling.

Go to the net and search for used boats and what you get would be few boats and mostly expensive top racing boats, not performance cruising boats.
The direct competitors like the Dufour 40e or even Salona are selling much more and that is odd been Benetau a market leader.

I can only speculate why the boat does not sell well in what should be the most popular version (CR), basically for performance cruising and club racing but I strongly suspect that has to do with the anchor locker that is shallow and will not take a chain and with the very small removable lateral cockpit lockers. A cruiser, performance or not, needs a good anchor locker with at least capacity for 50m of chain and decent storage on the cockpit, not small removable lockers. That is for racers.

Yes I agree, the First 40.7 was and is hugely popular and was sold in large numbers, but that one was a good cruising boat with a decent chain locker and decent storage on the cockpit.

Best regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-05-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook