SailNet Community - View Single Post - PSC 31 Great sail after lots of work
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012

okapi3 is on a distinguished road
Re: PSC 31 Great sail after lots of work

John,
I have been following the heated debate on the Gear-Maintenance forum about the 35 year-old standing rigging deemed "okay" by the rigger with great interest. I suspect you have, too, judging by your question. I don't have any expertise on which to base an opinion; however I agree with what many on the thread say, "It depends." It depends on how your boat has been used in the past and how you intend to use your boat in the future. My boat has 24 year-old standing rigging that "looks good." It has had 3 POs so difficult to know past usage, although I don't think it has spent any significant time in the tropics and may even have spent a few years in fresh water. The key factor, however, is that I plan on doing a lot of offshore sailing, and will probably be subjecting my rig to some pretty sustained stresses. Plus I anticipate taking her to the tropics in the near future. So to finally answer your question: I am replacing the standing rigging based purely on its age. The turnbuckles show no visible flaws, however, so I am not going to replace them. Another factor is that I was unable to get my boat insured (turned down by 3 companies) when I sailed her to Bermuda in 2011, and I think that was in part because of the age of the standing rigging.

Paul
PSC31 #9 "Wayfarer"
Chesapeake

The secret to sailing is good judgment. Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook