SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel bolt torque values ????
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Keel bolt torque values ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
One of the routine maintenance chores that I do in spring is to tighten keel bolts. I use a 3/4" socket wrench with a 1 1/2" socket and a pipe extender. Then I torque as much as I can. It's a keel. They're big honkin' bolts. As much torque as I can apply is what I want.

With that said, Sabre recommends 90 ft lbs torque.
"Give me a lever and a place to stand and I will move the world".

There is a reason torque wrenches were invented - you can exert a HUGE amount of force when you put a pipe extension on a wrench, enough to shear the threads or snap the stud. Stainless steel is also easily galled when too much torque is applied. I can quite easily apply over 100 Ft. Lbs with one hand and a 1/2" drive torque wrench.

Use a torque wrench and tighten the nuts to the torque specified for that size stud. Even a cheap torque wrench is going to be a LOT more accurate than "a piece of pipe and as hard as I can".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook