SailNet Community - View Single Post - Insurance
Thread: Insurance
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Insurance

Most marine insurance for coverage outside the US is sold through brokers. What you need to do is find a couple of brokers and discuss it with them. They have access to a number of different insurance companies, each of whom have their own rules. Also, coverage is not like car insurance. For example, my boat was insured for US and Bahamas, then the western Caribbean, now for the North Atlantic north of 10 degrees and the Med. Each time I move the coverage is re-written and the premiums change. This is also true if I stop for a while. Usually if you are going to be in a single place for at least 3 months they will modify the coverage for that place.

I am honoring this boards rules by not giving you names of brokers. The reason I sent you to the Seven Seas Cruising Association forum is that the issues of international coverage are well documented and a number of brokers read the forums on a regular basis. So if you go there you can get the real answers from the people who sell the coverage for a living.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook