SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell Me About Jeanneaus
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012

Zanshin is on a distinguished road
Re: Tell Me About Jeanneaus

Jeanneau belongs to Groupe Beneteau and the group is the world's largest producer of sailboats. Jeanneau manufactures exclusively in France while some of the Beneteau models are now also produced in the USA.

I'm on my third one (43DS, 49DS and now a Jeanneau 57) and when properly prepared I would consider all 3 to be bluewater capable boats, so far I've only taken the 57 from Annapolis (where it was displayed last year) to the Caribbean but the 8-day passage had some heavy weather and the boat didn't even notice although the crew certainly did. Many Jeanneaus have done the ARC or Pacific run and several have circumnavigated. Bluewater capability is a hotly contested subject here and many seem to consider only smaller to mid-sized, full-keeled, skeg-hung and massively builts boats to be such, but I'll just let the numbers (ARC lists, Cornell's statistics, etc.) speak for themselves. If your intent is to go around the Capes the wrong way or visit arctic waters then Jeanneau is most certainly not the correct choice. All of the bigger Jeanneaus are CE rated for offshore, although that certification is geared more towards fulfilling certain characteristics as opposed to being a true measure of offshore capabilities. The fuel tankage on the Jeanneaus is sufficient for normal onshore, Caribbean or Mediterranean cruising, but needs to be stocked up for true bluewater use.

The Jeanneau factory is quite impressive and efficiently organized. I took a tour (which I would recommend to anyone who finds themselves in the areas of Nantes, France) and posted some pictures from the factory tour here.

There is an active owner's forum at Jeanneau Owners Network Forum - Home and you can look through the threads to see typical owner problems and comments.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zanshin; 10-06-2012 at 06:24 AM. Reason: Added text
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook