SailNet Community - View Single Post - Champagne taste on a beer budget
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012
Cruising

RandyonR3 is on a distinguished road
Re: Champagne taste on a beer budget

Here's a different outlook , and something I would have done now looking back in years.. I've gone throu a dozzen boats to get where we are now, with our 42 and ready for retirement.
and the cost is a major factor in this decision.. if its a trailer boat can set in storage or in a driveway, did this for awhile with a Catalina 22, but once we moved up to a 30 foot, we had a slip so you now have a monthly payment no-matter what the boat cost.. and you will spend money on the boat..
What I am suggesting it join a sailing club.. many memberships can be had for less than a slip cost and you have the use of any of the boats in the club.. and now and then, use you're vacation on a charter boat.. your cost will be much less than owning a boat and you can move up to larger boats or take a small boat for an evening sail.. much of the time, you have use at any time as long as you reserve the boat in advance.. The boats in the clubs are uasally less than five years old so you are not sailing trash.. you dont have to pay insurance, slip fee, and best thing, go throu the issues of buying and selling a boat..
and now the great part.. once you are on the inside and a member, you find the ins and outs of the way they lease their boats. you buy a boat, and put it in their lease fleet and they make the payments.. in five years or so, you own the boat, at no cost and you can do with it what you want..
A friend of ours belongs to one of the clubs in the San Francisco Bay area.. He bought a NEW 42 foot Hunter and turned it over to the sailing club.. they paid the payments, kept it serviced, and kept it clean.. in five years he has a boat at no cost to him, except a monthly membership payment, which is less than a slip fee..
Now I'm sure that a new 42 foot Hunter is the boat for everyone, but you dont bitch very much when the boat is free..