SailNet Community - View Single Post - Keel bolt torque values ????
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012
Junior member, rest old

msmith10 is on a distinguished road
Re: Keel bolt torque values ????

If you have 1-1/2" keel nuts, you should have 1" keel bolts. In that case the torque setting is 350 ft lb. You can also get a tool called a torque multiplier to attach to your torque wrench since most torque wrenches won't go up that high. I bought one years ago for only this job. You'll probably also need a deep-well socket. You'll need 3/4" drive to get this kind of torque.
I'd also recommend watching your keel-hull joint. The C&C smile (separation of that joint) is common as the keel nuts loosen up with time, and the fix most guys do is just to fill the joint with caulking or epoxy, neither of which will last long.
If you have some separation, or it's been filled, I'd recommend cleaning out the joint before you tighten the nuts, then torque the nuts, then fill the seam if there's any left. Also be sure to caulk around the bolts before tightening the nuts-- I remove the nuts and washers, one at a time, clean out any bad stuff, recaulk, make sure the washer or backing plate is in good shape, then replace the nut and tighten, but not to full torque setting. After doing this with all the nuts, I go back and retorque part way on each nut at a time, like you're doing a cylinder head, until all nuts are at desired torque.
You should only have to do this every several years.