SailNet Community - View Single Post - Which is worse, a CAT that has some hull slap or Mono rolling on the hook?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012

kd3pc is on a distinguished road
Re: Which is worse, a CAT that has some hull slap or Mono rolling on the hook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCASKEW View Post
Kd3PC. ... don't you have a hunter passage? I thought I turned seeing that. .. if so its one of the boats I was looking at. .. How would you compare a late 90'a page to a mid 2000'a Gemini for 6 months each year in the Caribbean and Bahamas?
we sold the Hunter and are looking to downsize to something for just the two of us..

for us, both the P42 and the Gemini were compromises for the two of us.

Hunter - stable and sails well in any weather - takes some wind to get her going, awesome aft berth, but the wife found the tub (aft) to be useless under way, and as bad at the dock. Even on the brightest sunniest days, it was often dark below. The vberth cabin was wasted space for the two of us, as was the main salon head, we used it as a wet locker. The freezer and fridge were basically ice boxes and if you wife is not 5'5" or better she could not use the freezer. Access to engine and generator were tough, nigh impossible underway. Cockpit can be made comfortable at anchor, but is crowded with more than two and sailing.

Gemini - almost full size fridge with separate freezer that any one can open, use and get to. systems are generally accessible, easily. The salon table and settees are as comfortable as any I have used, the queen berth and owners head were awesome and bright and comfortable, as good as it gets. Handles like a dream and presents very little windage, daggerboards have to be cranked from inside and need a ratchet handle, ugh. Captains console, cockpit and the swinging chair in the davits was to die for - I spent a lot of time there. Can't overload it, though and that takes discipline...

For me it would come down to what am I going to do with the boat...we were doers and sailors, not much for sitting in one spot, so the Hunter won out....but for 6 months in the islands, most of which would likely be light winds, day sails, shallow waters, many marinas to run to in bad weather and anchoring out...would be the Gemini. Either boat will get you across the stream and to the islands with some prudent sailing. In the heavy weather and seas, I felt the Hunter was heavier and better built.

Hope that helps, and I am sure I have missed something...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook