SailNet Community - View Single Post - Don't need no lessons..just go..
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012

youmeandthed is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't need no lessons..just go..

When I was trying to get my wife into cruising, we just got her into a weekend sailing school where she got to sail her own little lazer 1 for two days without any experts telling her what to do. It worked, and she has thousands of blue water miles under her belt now.

We thought of doing a week long course, but that would have cost us three months worth of our cruising budget. There are so many free resources and people who wouldn't mind taking people out for a day sailing on their boat for free. Just do that and read, read, read.

The bumfuzzles had a lot of money (right age at the right time in the right economy). They definitely paid for their lack of due diligence with their first boat, by having to do serious work on it.

My suggestion is go take sailing lessons on something under 14 feet. Then buy a boat and go. Dinghy sailing lessons are cheap and you learn how to sail by hands on independent learning without having a crutch to lean on. Plus your mistakes don't result in someone taking the wheel or sheet from you. Instead you capsize your boat or get hit in the head by a boom. You also learn the most important lesson, it is just you out there in the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook