SailNet Community - View Single Post - thoughts on 1971 Yankee Dolphin 24?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012

RyanL is on a distinguished road
Re: thoughts on 1971 Yankee Dolphin 24?

thought this went through yesterday, but i'll try again...
got around to looling at the boat and it looked solid- for a 40 year old boat. i guess it's part of the learning process as i look around.

the more time i spent on it, the more i could see what is simple grime and what needs actual repair. rigging needs replacement, the running rigging was pretty crusty/sun baked.

the big question on my mind is the standing rigging: are those the original wires? could be, since it's spent most of its life on the light winds and fresh water of the potomac river. it was previously a local club boat (i've contacted them trying to get a better sense of maintenance over the years). i'll leave that question to a surveyor, if we come to that point, as that's not something to guess on...

the cabin is tiny, as folks have recalled. just the way boats used be be made, i suppose. i could live with it though, as 90% of time on the boat will be day sailing, and i'm used to backpack camping and roughing it. i learned to sail on a 25' drascombe gig in florida, camping under a tarp in the keys for 2 weeks at a time. amazing boat- too bad i couldn't get my hands on one!

solid bones, new motor, rigged for single handing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0393.jpg (42.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0396.jpg (49.4 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook