SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012
First305

sailtobike is on a distinguished road
Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP

Hi All,

We had a great day sailing on the Chesapeake today. The winds were 20's gusting to 30's. We saw 9 knots on our boat speed downwind for the first time. Unfortunately, the good time was not to last. We had a uncontrolled gybe around Bloody Point and I saw stuff flying from the main sheet harken slide track traveler block. When I got the chance to look, it appeared to be tiny ball bearings.... not good. On our next gybe, the whole car came flying off the track. Fortunately we were still able sail into St Michaels with it hanging off the slide track cleat lines. We are safely anchored for the night, liseining to a nice blow outside.

Right now, I am not sure about sailing back home. The traveler block is still attached to the main sheet, but it is hanging in mid air on the cleat lines. I think we may be able to clamp it down to the track and manage to sail home to Baltimore. My question is has anyone had this experience? Do you have any suggestions on how to anchor down the block for a quick fix to get home?

Thanks to all!

PS if you are wondering how we are online- check out the Verizon MIFI, it is the best!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook