SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP

I have sailed by Bloody Point and to St. Mikes before so I know the area. The Bay can get a bit boisterous in the stronger winds of fall so I can understand your concern.

If you can live without a traveler for the way back you could lash the block down in the middle of the track. You would have to compensate for not being able to use the traveler by dumping a little more wind.

If you are not comfortable with improvising, I thought that there was some kind of chandelry (boat store) in St. Michaels? You might get lucky and they have a traveler car that will work with your track. Harken is a pretty common brand for that type of hardware. Another sail boater might have a spare or backup they could lend you, if they felt so inclined.

Enjoy the cooling weather. I'd almost kill to be on a sailboat at St. Michaels right about now. Hope you get home safe.

Always have a backup plan.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook