SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing on Hudson river
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing on Hudson river

I'd say that your Croton location would be a fine spot for using a Sunfish. There are some destinations you could sail to besides Croton Point park. Explore the east side of the river then explore the western side. The current in the Hudson can be fairly strong so it would be a concern when the wind died. Bring along a paddle as there is some commercial (barge & tug mostly) traffic.
Overall Haverstraw Bay is a pretty nice sailing spot but there are some industrial structures to look at as well as nice hills nearby.
I have also been to Norwalk, CT. Outside the harbor is Sheffield Island among others. I prefer the saltier waters of the LI Sound for swimming in.
I've never sailed on anything in Jamaica Bay but I know that part of it is a bird sanctuary and it abuts Kennedy airport. I envision it to be pretty nice if you don't mind the fairly constant roar of airplanes landing and taking off. Every now and then one of them seems to land in Jamaica Bay, poor birds! There is something of a salt marsh in Jamaica Bay so I'd expect it to be a bit buggy at times.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook