SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell Me About Jeanneaus
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Tell Me About Jeanneaus

"GENERALLY" speaking, Jeanneau's have been a touch upper scale than Beneteau. They have different presidents if you will, with there own how they wish to do things. YES< some things are one and the same, but generally speaking, a given boat of a given size, will be designed by a different architect! so it is not as simple as an olds vs chev, where the body/shassis of the car is the same, but different trim levels. Both design and trim levels will be different.

Jeanneau does generally speaking gives you a good bang for the buck. Reality is, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Catalina and to a degree Hunter here in the states, do have similar price points for a given model. Jeanneau does shoot for having a well sailable boat.

The boat in Anacortes, IE the 49Ip, is owned by the owner of the local jeanneau dealer. He bought that to take his family on a 2-3 yr cruise from here in Seattle to Oz and back. ONE of his at the time 15 yr old daughter's was steering the boat doing 15 knots in some low 20 knot winds. 20' seas with an AS up, easy as pie, being as his daughters are little string beans, maybe 100 lbs dripping wet! they had no issues sailing the boats. MOST are designed by Marc Lambeaugh.......hope I spelled the last name correct, altho I think it is not frankly........That boat is setup for an ocean cruise, you could take off tomorrow, the beneteau that is referenced, would guess is not as setup! not sure there is normally that much difference between the two boats.........

Jeanneaus are cross's between the Beneteau First and Oceanus setups. Not as quick/powerful as a First, but more so than an Oceanus. Generally speaking, more than a Catalina or Hunter.

Reality is, some like Jeanneaus better than bene's, or catalinas, and vice versa.

If it will suit what you want to do, like the interior, join Zanshin and myself at the Jeanneau owners area. if not, you could Join CD at the catalina forum, but I am sure with his bull dog posting upon occasion, it is not as much fun!

Marty