SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery charging
View Single Post
post #17 of Old 11-27-2006
dave.verry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Frank,

DAVE.VERRY, if you are reading this, can I plese ask you a question that has been plaguing me for two weeks and several busted knuckles:

WHY DO I HAVE TO RUN A MINIMUM (MINIMUM) 4/0 OR LARGER CABLE WITH A PROSINE 2.0????????!!!!!!!! The charger was cheap compared to the cost of that freaking cable and lugs, trips to the hospital, a month in confession... etc.
The only reason I can think of would be voltage drop during startup inrush current. Remember, all wire and connections are resistors, with very small values. If the inverter takes a large amount of current to start, the voltage drop in a smaller wire may drag the voltage on the inverter input connections below a critical value, possibly causing it to oscillate on and off during startup. I am not familiar with this particular inverter so can’t say for sure. A quick call or email to the manufacturer may be able to answer the question.

I feel for you, many a time I’ve scraped my knuckles on large cable crimps. 4/0 does seem a little excessive.

There are two types of fools...

One says this is old, and therefore good..

The other says this is new, and therefore better...
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome