SailNet Community - View Single Post - Battery charging
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006

dave.verry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisingdad
Frank,

DAVE.VERRY, if you are reading this, can I plese ask you a question that has been plaguing me for two weeks and several busted knuckles:

WHY DO I HAVE TO RUN A MINIMUM (MINIMUM) 4/0 OR LARGER CABLE WITH A PROSINE 2.0????????!!!!!!!! The charger was cheap compared to the cost of that freaking cable and lugs, trips to the hospital, a month in confession... etc.
The only reason I can think of would be voltage drop during startup inrush current. Remember, all wire and connections are resistors, with very small values. If the inverter takes a large amount of current to start, the voltage drop in a smaller wire may drag the voltage on the inverter input connections below a critical value, possibly causing it to oscillate on and off during startup. I am not familiar with this particular inverter so canít say for sure. A quick call or email to the manufacturer may be able to answer the question.

I feel for you, many a time Iíve scraped my knuckles on large cable crimps. 4/0 does seem a little excessive.

One says this is old, and therefore good..

The other says this is new, and therefore better...
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook