SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley counter top material
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Galley counter top material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailor View Post
I have butcher block counters in my house (Ikea). Generally we like them but you can't set anything ferrous on them or there will be a permanent stain. Regular tin can? Circular stain. US dime? Circular stain. Cast iron pot lid? Circular stain.

The above stains are actually the only ones we have since we've gotten careful with not putting ferrous metals on the counter. Problem is if you let someone else cook in your kitchen....

What I'd like to use when I re-do my boat's galley is use copper flashing over plywood. I've seen several restaurants that use copper for their table tops and I think it looks great! Seem to me that it would have all the utility of restaurant stainless but look much more ship-like and homey. Copper is antibacterial on contact as well....

MedSailor
Copper has a lot of bad taste it can add to food. Note how copper pots are only copper on the OUTSIDE where the food doesn't contact it. It's also toxic - that's why they put so much of it in bottom paint.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook