SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
First305

sailtobike is on a distinguished road
Re: Blown main sheet traveler car- need advice ASAP

Thanks for all the advice guys! Truth is I feel pretty stupid for the uncontrolled gybe that blew her out in the first place. I had just done a chicken gybe and thought I was pretty smart. But then, I sailed too close to dead down and snapped her over. The first 305 is very tender and the waves really don't allow any room for error as she dances up and down the troughs.

I am sure you are right that we can get Harken to replace the car this week and take care of the problem, although it worries me that it failed in the first place. We have been playing with it this morning and I have to say I am a little disappointed in the design. The only things holding this car on the track are the ballbearings and some small screwed on plastic endcaps. Geez. The track is also flat against the floor so you can't run a line around it to strap it down.

My husband has decided to screw the car back down to the track with the endcaps. I am not sure this will work for long.The winds have layed down to 5, so we will probably be ok. We are sailing downwind to get out of eastern bay, and then be up the whole way back. If it fails, I agree we could rig something to the headsail cleats in the cockpit or the wenchs on the deck ( the traveller on a First 305 is on a step in front of the companionway..not a great place). I am concerned about putting lateral loads on the headsail cleats. I think the wenchs could take the loads just fine.

Anyway, it has been a interesting experience and we will learn our back up plan for this failure underway! I will let you know how it plays out.

Busy morning here in St. Michaels, we are anchored by the Inn at Perry Cabin and the dinghy sailors are out practicing in front of the sailing museum. I remember those days!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook