SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stability information
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stability information

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I'm afraid not. The design aspect you refer to could be called "garboard radius" I guess and my last boat - Columbia 43 - had a fairly pronounced one. I ran into the same problem as you because of it. For practical purposes, if you get a satisfactory outcome using the lowest resultant, you are O/K. If you must have the absolutely accurate number you'll need to look further. Perhaps the tangent point of the radius?

Perhaps the maestro can weigh in on this?
That all makes sense. I have spent the last 2 hours doing google searches, looking at ISO standards, and reading various PDF's trying to find some sort of database for stability information. I've found tantalizing hints and tidbits but they come up short and leave me even more frustrated. As important as this information is, my gut tells me that somebody somewhere at some time has made the effort to compile stability information on various boats. There are so many guidelines on minimum AVS for coastal vs. offshore use. There are even catagories for boats that define their intended use but I can't seem to track down any of that information. It seems like an information gap akin to nobody publishing towing capacities for vehicles.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook