SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley counter top material
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Galley counter top material

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacap06 View Post
Do you mean flashing used in roofing? Copper is a soft, ductile metal, flashing is particularly so and is thin for easy bending to conform to corners. I expect you'll have a problem with denting if you use it. If you really want to use copper, then get something thicker and harder than pure copper. I'd take a look at Beryllium Copper alloys since they are both harder and resist corrosion.

There's also the issue of cost and availability. I would expect to pay around $100 a square foot for 1/8" copper sheet, more for a sheet of Beryllium Copper alloy.

I'd recommend using aluminum instead. It is widely available in a number of sizes and thicknesses. I would use 1/8 or 3/64 sheets to resist denting. This page from The Metal Store online catalog shows you the price of various sizes of 3/64" smooth aluminum sheet. 24" x 36" x 3/64 is under $30.00 US, while the same size in 1/8" (the thickness of aluminum deck plate) is $67.00 US. The metal store is just an easy-to-find example from Googling. There are lots of other places to choose from -- doubtless some are cheaper than this.

Tom
Boy, youse guys are sure desperate to avoid good old practical, cheap & easy laminate.

One of the best looking countertops IMHO is a black suede finish laminate. Costs about $50 for a fairly big galley.

You can also get laminate with S/S. aluminium and copper finishes - actual metal foil laminated on the top surface.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galley #1.jpg (45.7 KB, 41 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 10-07-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook