SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stability information
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough
Re: Stability information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean101 View Post
That all makes sense. I have spent the last 2 hours doing google searches, looking at ISO standards, and reading various PDF's trying to find some sort of database for stability information. I've found tantalizing hints and tidbits but they come up short and leave me even more frustrated. As important as this information is, my gut tells me that somebody somewhere at some time has made the effort to compile stability information on various boats. There are so many guidelines on minimum AVS for coastal vs. offshore use. There are even catagories for boats that define their intended use but I can't seem to track down any of that information. It seems like an information gap akin to nobody publishing towing capacities for vehicles.
There's a design book called "Seaworthiness - The Forgotten Factor" by Marchaj that came out in the wake of the IOR stability games. I haven't read it but I've seen it highly recommended by authoritative voices. Perhaps it has what you're looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook