SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough
Dufour 34 and 36 performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
paulo,

That looks like the issue with the 34/34e previous version. Correct "fast" design, but to much wt for the SA to move at a reasonably rate of speed. There is a 34 shoal keel of all things near me, I've beaten it boat for boat a number of times. Rating has been lowered to match its performance. Then again, when the owner usually has a crew of newbies out of a sailing school, with them learning........I still should not be able to beat it!

Marty
Are you talking about one of the late versions, the one they call the first from the "performance" line?

That one was not too bad with 5400Kg for 65m2 of sail (not very different from what I had in my old Bavaria 36 that was 70cm bigger). Anyway the new 36 has only more 70cms and weights 1000kgs more.

That is a lot.

It is expected that new performance boats to be lighter than the previous versions, not heavier. To put things in perspective the Salona 38 that is 50cms longer weights only more 100kg than the Dufour 36 and was a much bigger proportion of the overall weight in ballast. If we consider only the boats without the ballast, the Salona 38 is considerably lighter.

The Dufour has 1900kg of ballast, the Salona 2270kg. The Salona 38 has 88.4m2 of sail and the Dufour 36 72,1m2. Both boats have about the same weight but the Salona has not only much more sail as also more RM. I really don't understand why everybody is saynig so well about the new Dufour 36 in what regards its sailing performance. I guess that if they tested the boat out of the wind rage were the boat should perform well (10 to 13K), especially if it was a comparative test, it would help to clear the water.

34E - Performance - DUFOUR Yachts

36 - Performance - DUFOUR Yachts

Technical data - Salona Yachts

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-07-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook