SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Pro's and Con's of storage on the hard

4K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  Minnewaska 
#1 ·
I have stored my boat through out the winter in its slip. Recently my marina has offered winter storage on the hard at no extra charge. I'm wondering what the pro and con's are and how would the winterizing change??

#3 ·
Besides giving you access to your prop, rudder and bottom, hauling the boat allows it to dry out for a while.
Boats that are stored in the water year in and year out are more likely to develop blisters then boats that are allowed to dry out for a bit.

Anecdote: A friend was kept his 1982 Endeavor 32' in the water for about 5 years because it was cheaper then paying for a haul out. When they hauled the boat last spring for bottom painting they found, guess what? Blisters.
My boat is 45 years old (1967) and has been hauled out every year as far as I know. It shows no sign of blistering.

#5 ·
Leaving the boat in isn't really an option where I am, but I like hauling it out anyway. With the boat out of the water I can really give it a good once over and address all the things on my punch list from the season.

If a boat gets dimpled or falls over, it's because someone screwed up, not because it's not designed for it. You could get beat to hell at the dock in a winter storm too. I would say that most of the go fast boats up here spend more time on their keels then they do in the water.

#6 ·
I feel that the boat weathers harder in the water than out. We've onluy winter stored once and won't do it again.

Pros to Dry Winter Storage
1. Hull dries out, reducing the chance of blisters
2. More leisurely spring commissioning
3. Less likely to sink
4. Piece of mind such that I can afford to not visit for a month or so.

Cons:
1. Expensive. I pay for a year round slip and also for hauling and dry storage at another marina. At other marinas, I've paid a flat rate for storage, in or out of the water, with a fee only for the haul, cleaning, and relaunch.

#7 ·
Let me add another con to Sabremans thread. Many people who put their boats on the hard leave their masts up. The wind hitting the masts transfers vibrations though the boat and this energy is transferred where. Normally when a boats in the water the wind hits the mast the boat heels a little the energy is transferred into the water and dissipated by the boats roll. In stands it is rigid. I have felt the vibrations though the boat as well as in the stands while my boat was on the hard mast up.

Dave

#8 ·
Even the best gelcoat is not completely impermeable and the epoxy coat does not last forever so water and humidity will slowly enter the hull. On the hard the boat will dry each season (hopefully) the water and humidity that entered during the season.

As a negative side, the weight of the boat is much better distributed in the water than by any stand.

Of course, on the hard (if the job is well done) you will get less worried every time a storm hits the place where you have the boat except if you live in places where earthquakes are frequent. That was the case last time I had the boat on the hard and with earthquakes all around I was not filling at ease with the situation:D

Regards

Paulo

#9 ·
Cons: it's much harder to sail, which up here is a massive con since the winter offers lots of lovely days with much better wind than the summer. In my marina, my slip is more sheltered than out on the hard too. (And there's the earthquake thing!)
Pros: It's much easier to work on the boat.

#10 ·
Here we sail all year, can't relate to putting the boat away for the winter. every year we get a group of people together and go spring snow sking ( only good until noon) in the morning and off road on the way to the beach where we go sailing until dark. and then to the club for a beer or two

#11 ·
Northern boats which spend the winter on the hard seem to age considerably more slowly than more southern boats that stay in the water year round.

I realize the different rates of usage, sun etc. affect this but that can't account for all of it surely?

If I had free winter storage available, I'd take it unless I planned on a lot of winter sailing.

#12 ·
Northern boats which spend the winter on the hard seem to age considerably more slowly than more southern boats that stay in the water year round.
SloopJonB
Northern boats have a very short sailin season compared to even boats in the Chesapeake region. If you go in in May and Come out in October ( 6 months) I am sure they will considerably less aged. Chessapeake March thru NOvember ( 9 months) and Florida ( 12 months and major sun.)

If I had free winter storage available- SloopJOnB
- The only free storage here is to leave it in your slip for the winter.

#14 ·
Around here, storage on the hard is much more expensive than in the water. That must say something.

For those that store in the water, more power to you. If you are going to keep her sail ready, all the more power to you. There are times, when I wish I could. But that still requires the winterization of systems that might otherwise have freeze damage, so its never really seemed the same to me. Further, the exposure of teak, sails, rigging, etc to the winter elements around here would dramatically shorten their lifespan. Not sure where the OP is located.

However, I am a believer that being up on the hard is, on balance, less stressful on the boat and allows for annual hull maintenance (paint, zincs, props, thru hulls, rudder, drying out, etc). Many can be done in the water, but I think most will defer them more readily that way. Sure, the stands will contort the boat a bit. I can tell that doors don't close the same. But 365 day exposure to salt water has its costs too.

Interestingly, for all my neighbors that head south for the winter, which is effectively storing in the water, they all haul for as much as a month before leaving. Mostly to get their annual hull maintenance done.

As far as the relative danger of being on the hard goes, I would want to know if the yard allows DIY right next to me. That could be a danger from dust or whatever. However, the statistics are pretty clear. Insurance companies have to pay for storm damage and they've calculated you are safer on the hard. Not bullet proof, but statistically safer.

For my own anecdote, I've been seriously damaged ($30K in repairs) by a strong thunderstorm at the dock and never a scratch on the hard.

#15 ·
I like the ease of doing maintenance (zincs, bottom paint touch-ups, etc.) while on the hard.

But for me it's really about peace of mind. We get some pretty good coastal storms in the winter. The first two years we had the boat I kept her in all winter chasing those occasional nice days. But every other week I was driving down to check on the boat. Every time a serious storm was forecast I was driving down and checking on the boat. That meant walking down a slippery ramp to floating docks in the winter. More than once I thought about going in the water. One afternoon I showed up and the marina's bubbler system had stopped working and it was icing in.

All in all I sleep a lot better with the boat covered and hauled out.

#20 ·
I have had good luck rotating. One winter in the water, next on the hard - mast up, next in the water, then on the hard with the mast down.

It seems to me that if they are offering you a free haul out it's a good deal as this is something you will have to pay for sooner or later.

One issue is getting blocked in. No matter what they tell you, yards DO NOT like to move boats around the yard. If you get stuck behind the guy who is last to paint his bottom you might be the last one in. Just tell them you want to be last out and first in, this way you will be in front of the line... Now don't be that guy that holds up the entire yard! :)

#21 · (Edited)
My 2¢....

In Water Pro's:
*Can be cheaper if you already pay for the slip year round
*Rig can stay up
*Can be less costly than haul and un-step mast
*Easy to board/no ladder required

In Water Cons:
*Corrosion
*Environmental wear & tear if not covered
*Ice damage is not covered by most insurance companies
*Covering is more tedious & time consuming
*Frozen & plugged scuppers can cause sinkings
*Frozen & split seacocks can cause sinkings
*Wear & tear on rig & rigging, UV, corrosion, freeze thaw
*Bottom growth
*Moldy sails, if left bent on
*The potential for sinkings
*Must check on the boat more often
*Dock line wear
*Fender chafe 365/24/7 on topside finish
*Storms
*Still has to be short hauled to clean and paint bottom (may negate savings)
*Tough to get cover to seal well around a stepped spar
*Easier to board/theft potential

On Hard Cons:
*Yard may improperly block or support the hull
*Mast removal expense
*If mast left up boat can be blown over
*If mast left up many yards place fault on boat owner if blow over
*If mast left up wear & tear on rigging
*Up and down a ladder all winter if you want to work on the boat

On Hard Pro's:
*Hull can "dry out" each winter
*Sinkings can't happen
*Covering the boat is easier
*Cover can be more easily "adjusted" as necessary
*No worries about below water metals corrosion
*Bottom won't grow a beard
*No diver required to replace zincs ever two to three months
*Wear on dock lines stops
*Fender rash stops
*Storms are a non-issue (unless mast is left up)
*Not working up against a short haul clock for bottom paint
*Allows servicing of seacocks
*Allows servicing of packing gland
*Allows for annual inspection of bottom for blisters
*Does not matter if the bilge pump freezes of fails
*Less wear & tear on deck & cleats
*If mast down less wear & tear on rigging and from, ice, UV etc.

#22 ·
I take my mast down every two or three years, otherwise, we store on the hard with it up. I usually wait for an excuse to do something to the mast to take it down and inspect everything. My next excuse with be adding another spare halyard.

I understand the argument that it is better on the rig to be removed, as it doesn't remain tensioned year round and allows for inspection. However, I don't see how it fairs better over the winter when I see most of them stored on outdoor racks. Further, the guys that do all the stacking don't seem to take the same care that I would.

On insurance, I've never given it much thought before, but mine requires that I am hauled by December 1st. That must mean a premium increase if she stayed in the water. Something to consider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.