SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts - Chain vs. Brait?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
labatt,

I think this discussion ranks right up there with the best keel typs that every sailor argues over, but, here is my opinion(s) and what I do:

I carry both.

I carry 250' all chain and use this as my primary. You can tie a line from the chain and cleat it off as a snubber to reduce the shock load. I am a big fan of chain for many reasons: 1) no chafe on rocks or coral, 2) excellent holding, 3) you "can" use less rode if the situation requires it.

I have come into many anchorages where the other sailboats ran all chain at about 5:1. If you have a "rope" rode, this scope could cause you to drag. If you put out 7:1, you might swing into another boat. However, if you come into an anchorage where the boats are swinging at 7:1, you can always let out more rode.

I also like having what I call a lunch hook and a rope rode for light days and/or afternoon stops. It is easier to work and easier on the fingers. I do have a windless, but it does not strain as much with the rope (though I have to keep pressure on the back side).

If you can, carry both. You should carry two hooks anyway with a differnt anchor for different bottoms.

Just my opinions.

- CD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook