SailNet Community - View Single Post - Power tool for sanding toe rail
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
Maine Member

BELLATRIX1965 is on a distinguished road
Re: Power tool for sanding toe rail

Sabreman: Any chance that you would enlighten us with some scraper tips/hints? I agree - nothing beats a sharp scraper; the problem is that few people own (or properly use) a good, sharp file with which to dress it!

Your recommendations for where to buy scrapers and how to tune them, please?? What size/cut of file is your favorite? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabreman View Post
Yup. That's how it's supposed to work. I tend to make specialty scrapers in whatever profile that I need. Sometimes, it's a concave 1" scraper or 1" convex. The variations are infinite. I tend to use a convex blade for 80% of what I scrape, rotating it toward the edge if I need a fine line.

If you stick at it, you will be able to set the hook reliably. It's just a matter of practice and I had the same problem at first and nearly abandoned the tool.

The old woodworkers like my grandfather could fly through a job like a toerail. Both my father and grandfather warned me away from exclusive power tool use - many jobs are wrecked by power tools in inexperienced hands. The quiet and efficiency of a well tuned scraper, like a well tuned plane, is a thing of beauty. And you have total control.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook