SailNet Community - View Single Post - Universal M25 losing power
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough
Re: Universal M25 losing power

So today I removed and replaced the fuel pump filter with a NAPA 610-1086 ($18 with shipping, 'cause I didn't want to drive 20 miles to NAPA).

I would like to express my thanks to Stu Jackson, because I never knew there was a fuel pump filter, and to Maine Sail, for his excellent write up of how to replace the Facet Fuel Pump Filter (here).

Here is what my (original?) Facet fuel pump filter and gasket looked like;

It wasn't terrible, but you can see a good deal of "stuff" that had been filtered out. I actually tried to take a picture of the worst side of the filter. The other side was relatively clean. Note that I have not changed the fuel lines yet. Therefore the fuel pump is the first stop after the fuel tank petcock. The next stop is the Raycor. Next year I'll change that.

There was no evidence of corrosion on the bottom of the filter, so I would guess that my tank is relatively free of H2O. I was surprised by the amount of gunk in the filter housing, and, what appeared to be sawdust(?!) trapped in the filter housing. The gasket looked to be in good condition, so I wiped the gunk off, and will keep it as a spare.

Also note that the black button in the center of the bottom cover is actually a magnet. I believe that this is installed in the filter assembly to attract metal particles, should they penetrate the filter.

RE: weinie's post above - I believe that ALL of these Universal engines should have the idle set to 1000.

Last edited by eherlihy; 10-07-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook