SailNet Community - View Single Post - Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Finger Lakes,NY to Key West,Fl.

I bet you'll be traveling through some nice foliage on your way down. Going through the NY canal system is on my bucket list.

I've come to respect the reversing current in the Hudson so I try not to anchor out overnight in the river proper. There is a nice little anchorage, out of the river just south of Haverstraw Marina, behind Bowline Point park (hexagonal gazebo at north side of entrance). If you decide to check this place out you should approach from the SE and hug the south side of the entrance as there is a nasty shoal in the middle just inside the entrance channel. I think that google maps shows where the shoal is but I found it all by myself this summer, the hard way; hard aground that is. This location should be quieter than listening to the traffic on the Tappan Zee bridge all night.
If you'd rather take a hot shower and use a shore side head you could spring for the $25/night guest mooring at the Nyack Boat Club where we keep our T27. NBC is on the western shore from the anchorage you have used before. Club launch monitors VHF ch 9. Restaurants within walking distance and the club usually stocks ice.

Even though I live in lower Manhattan I choose to drive up to Nyack to sail as the scenery is more to my liking. When near NYC where do usually anchor or tie up?
I know that some like to anchor just south and west of Lady Liberty. I've never done that.
The cheapest moorings on the Manhattan side are operated by NYC Parks dept. at 79th Street. I think it is $40/night for a transient mooring but I gather that they charge you extra for stuff like using the dinghy dock. I forget if they have shower facilities or not.
The next cheapest mooring on Manhattan are just north of the World Financial Center and are $75/night. They have a launch which would put you right at Chambers Street. This facility is now operated by Liberty Landing Marina and I'm not sure if your $75 mooring fee entitles you to use their facilities which are located just across the river.

Another place I just found out about this year is in Hoboken called the 14th St. Marina, or something like that. I have no idea how much they charge or what facilities they have but it would be a short PATH train ride to the chaos of NYC, if that is even on your radar. Perhaps some good old fashioned chaos would be just the thing after your hopefully bucolic trip through the canals and down the Hudson.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook