SailNet Community - View Single Post - Thoughts - Chain vs. Brait?
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006
Quit calling me a member

morganmike is on a distinguished road
Brait???

From Setsail:
The one negative with Brait is that it will tend to catch on rough edges. This is not a good material to use around pilings.

I wouldn't think brait would be a good choice for anchor rode, however Major anchor windlass manufacturers recommend eight-plaited rope for superior operation. But notice that they recommend it for superior windlass operation, not for superior anchoring.

I can't imagine that a soft, high-snag line is going to serve you very well on anything but sand or mud. Any rocks or tree detrius on the bottom are going to tear the line up. Three-strand doesn't snag because the strands have a smooth aggregate surface. Also, nylon tends to harden with age and exposure to salt water, which would eliminate any flexibility advantage that new brait might have. And if you buy dacron brait, you lose the stretch factor that makes 3 strand nylon such an excellent snubber.

In my opinion, conservative decisions with regard to ground tackle are never money wasted. How much will you have saved when the boat drags onto the rocks?

On my Morgan 30 (10,500 lb dsp.) I run a 27 lb CQR with 100 feet of 5/16 inch chain backed by 200 feet of 5/8 inch three strand nylon. I found that I never put out less than 70 or 80 feet of rode, regardless, and so I figure I might as well put out 120 feet - the chain plus 20 feet of nylon as a snubber. This works well for me in LI Sound, where most anchorages are 10 to 20 feet deep (and rocky.) In the event I need to reduce scope, (never happens, even in crowded anchorages) I do carry a couple of nylon snubbers with chain hooks. Is this overkill? Maybe. But I sleep well, even in the squalls.

I did save some money by buying two 50 foot shots of chain at a consignment store and shackling them together. I don't have a windlass and I wire the shackles closed with monel seizing wire, so shackles in-line aren't a problem for me.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook