SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tell Me About Jeanneaus
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Tell Me About Jeanneaus

The only REAL bad downside I can think of for an iron keel, is is it harder than lead, so if you hit a rock, the hull will feel it more than with lead. Another issue, altho minor to a degree, lets say you need 2000 lbs of material in a bulb as the new boats will have, the iron bulb will be bigger in volume so not as fast or streamlined if I am typing that correct. BOTH, should keep you upright just fine if designed correctly. Worry about RM IMHO more than lead vs iron.

As far as deck stepped vs keel.......both IMHO are good and bad. JeffH seems to personally IIRC like deck stepped. One advantage I can see, is there is no water leaking from the seals etc to the bilge! The only time my bilge has had water is a water tank leak, a NEW PSS shaft that was vented incorrectly, and recently when I forgot to close the ice chest drain valve, put ice in the IC, and it started to melt! I'm sure both have weakness's too. One of the things now that I am typing Jeff likes, IF you do get dismasted, with a deck top, if you can salvage the boom, it is easier to use this as a makeshift mast vs a keel stepped setup. Reality, take you lumps either way. Keels are the same IMHO.

marty

Now that I am done typing, I see sloop is saying lead will transmit more to the hull......hmmmmmm....he does have good points.......so I could be wrong!