SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Leaving a yacht in Greece for more than a year

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  PCP 
#1 ·
Hello friends
I am thinking of buying a sailboat in Greece and I am wondering if
Anyone out there has any info or experience of leaving a yacht with
A Canadian flag in Greece for more than two or three years,(the laws)
Thank you....

#3 ·
I don't have specifics, but Greece is in the EU, so VAT on the value of boat would be payable after 18 months. celenoglu advise about Turkey is good - lots of Europeans keep their boats in places like Marmaris for tax reasons. However, if the boat you buy has the VAT already paid in Greece, the situation may be different...you will have to do some digging for a clear answer.

#6 ·
Milos, are you planning to wander teh docks in Greece and look for a private sale? Or use a broker?

I'd call a broker, or two, and contact the Greek authorities and get some first-hand information from them. See if it is the same from all parties. Get the legal details (duties, taxes, terms) IN WRITING.

And get them from the source.

#8 ·
Hellosailor I agree in what you say
I am planning to do both ,but I think a
Broker might be the smoothest and
Safest transaction .I was born in Greece ,but moved to Canada when
I was 9 years old.I don't know if there
Are any benefits (law wise)to that

#7 ·
I am a Turkish citizen. Due to very high import costs, most of Turkish owners register their boats in a different country and the boats are kept in Turkey. I am very familiar with our regulations. If you wish to keep your boat in Turkey, I will be glad to give information about the marinas that you might be intersted.

#9 ·
Celenoglu thank you for the offer to help.I have received a quote from
A boat yard on an island that my family
Is from (Milos , in the Cyclades) for a complete package,in- out- and storage
In their yard for 7 months for 2000 euros.The type of yacht that I told them
Was for a 16 meter sailboat which is
What I am looking for.I have heard that
The marinas in turkey are more competitive with their prices.How does
My quote compare???

#11 ·
Thanks Paulo for the information.
I have decided to keep the boat in Milo's because ,we have a small house there.Thanks
For info and I will be checking Cleopatra marina
Out for shure.Have you visited many islands in Greece ? And how did you find the sailing there?

#12 ·
T..Have you visited many islands in Greece ? And how did you find the sailing there?
We sailed on Ereikoussa, Kerkira (Corfu), Continental Greece, Ambracian Gulf Lefkas and surrounded Islands.

The contrast with Croatia was big: A lot less sailboats on anchorages (sometimes on the main coast I was the only boat), no buoys, no charges to anchor.

Perhaps it was just causual but I got much more wind on Greece, sometimes too much:D. On the mornings there was little wind but on the afternoon it really blows hard and for more time than in Croatia (where it blows also in the afternoon), sometimes only slowing down after sunset.

But I have liked and next year I will sail there extensiverly.

Regards

Paulo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.