SailNet Community - View Single Post - steppng a mast on a 23 o'day pop top
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road
Re: steppng a mast on a 23 o'day pop top

This isn't a gin-pole config, but an A-frame on my Capri 22... I built it with 3 2.4s, 8 foot long, and they hold together with simple bolts, and wing nuts (so they fold down to 3 boards)... I use the mainsheet tackle to lift the mast from myself with very little effort. Gonna use the same thing on my Capri 25 to haul out this season.

You see on the stern too that I raise the mast up a bit with something sitting on the gudgeons, to support the mast higher than level (to clear the cabintop) before lifting. The opposite apex of the A-frame is secured with a fixed line to the bow cleat. I usually raise the A-frame slightly forward of the mast (2-3 feet), and tie the bottom off on port and starboard (to keep it from slipping on the fiberglass)... my 9 yo daughter can raise and lower the mast this way from the ground pulling on the mainsheet (yes I've done it while keeping shrouds clear during the raising)...

But you say it's keel stepped, not deck stepped? On a 23 footer? really?