SailNet Community - View Single Post - Galley counter top material
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012
C&C 34

MysticGringo is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to MysticGringo Send a message via AIM to MysticGringo Send a message via Yahoo to MysticGringo Send a message via Skype™ to MysticGringo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnewaska View Post
I applied this to a bar top in my rec room at a previous house. It is easily scratched. Coasters, placemats, etc were needed religiously. If you look at one in a bar, they are hazed over by the scratching, although, don't look too bad. I'm also certain they can't take much heat.

Installation is probably the tougher part, unless you can remove your counter tops from the boat. They need to be perfectly level, and I mean perfectly. The stuff seeks a level and the slightest imperfection will be noticed over the length of a counter. No way any of our boats are that level. The advantage, however, is that the fids will provide a natural barrier to hold the stuff in place. Letting it run over the edge is very difficult to get right.
Cool. I wonder if there are different versions with different levels of hardness. A few I've seen still remain pretty clear. One I saw said it'd withstand 270 degrees without marring or staining... so not hot pan or pot, but definitely coffee or plate worthy.

My galley is pretty tiny, so I'm not worried about seeing it out of level for a portion... but the chances of getting the boat to stop swaying back and forth during installation is pretty slim. I may try it and do a write up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook