SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Northeast Liveboard - First Condensation/Mildew Battle
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012

DINKS14 is on a distinguished road
New Northeast Liveboard - First Condensation/Mildew Battle

Hi everybody,

My wife, dog, and I are new to this live aboard thing...and we really love it. As the temperature has dropped, we obviously are running into increased condensation and resulting mildew.

I have been scouring the "information super highway" about condensation fixes.

We live in NH in the slip, so we have shore power. It is not my preference right now to rip the boat apart and insulate everything, although I realize that may be a reality in the future.

We are running a small space heater for heat now, when needed, but typically don't use it much as the boat seems to stay relatively warm.

The condensation mostly comes around portholes in the walls, hatches in the ceiling...like the one over our bed, and under our mattress. We just spent the weekend cleaning the ensuing mildew...good times, but the beer was tasty when it was done.

We have considered a product called hypervent for under the mattress and are considering a dehumidifier currently.

I am also considering putting in a espar heating system...but seems like big money. I'm not even sure if that will help or make things worse, but heat of some sort needs to happen soon.

Does anyone have any tips on beating the condensation without ripping out boat apart as well as any tips on a decent heating system?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook