SailNet Community - View Single Post - Downtown Sailing Center Baltimore Maryland
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012

livinzlife is on a distinguished road
Downtown Sailing Center Baltimore Maryland

I am new to sailing, and have an interest in it, mainly just looking to acquire information here on the boards, probably will be a fly on the wall for a few months reading away...

I took an intro to sailing course in Annapolis last year, and enjoyed myself, but would like to take an opportunity to get more time on a boat near my home, Baltimore Maryland. I feel that getting out with someone more experienced regularly will be beneficial in truly learning to sail.

I went to the Annapolis sailboat show this past weekend, and met someone who suggested I look into Downtown Sailing Center in Baltimore. They offer sailing courses, and something I am very interested in... weekly open-sails, where those in a novice membership would be setup with those that have more experience, and let out to sail together to gain experience on the water. They have this every Wednesday evening, and every other Sunday during the day.

One other thing I was attracted to is that they offer "work days", some membership levels actually require that you attend them. The "work days" are when all the members come together to maintain and repair the boats. I think this could be very valuable experience, especially when deciding if this is right for me or not.

Would this be an effective way to learn to sail? I realize the courses are great, they teach sailing terms, methods, and even provide on-the-water time, but one year later, I feel I have forgotten everything I learned. Is getting out there and just doing it going to help?

Does anyone have experience/comments/reviews of the Downtown Sailing Center? I am going to get in touch with them this week for more information on their program and membership, but it would be great to hear some first-hand experience from any of you that have been a member, or currently are (or even just heard good/bad things about it).
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook