SailNet Community - View Single Post - Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012

Mike Banks is on a distinguished road
Re: Considering doing Live Aboard. (Need Advise)

Any heat source needs to be chosen carefully. If the flame is not enclosed it will probably produce carbon monoxide gas--odourless and very deadly. Any heater used at an anchorage has to have its own air source and its own outlet for flue gasses. These must not have access to the cabin air. This rules out camping stoves, drip fed diesel stoves and if one wishes to burn wood, charcoal or coke or coal then a proper closed system slow combustion stove with its own inlet and outlet should be used.

My own preference is to have ceramic electric fan heaters. A 2kw gen set outside in a vented weatherproof deck locker will run a 1 kw ceramic fan heater which will keep the boat warm on the occasions one is away from power, and if the boat is a large one a diesel gen set in the engine room will run more heaters. The exhaust from the gen sets is easily flued through a permanent exhaust system, all that comes inside are the power wires. The only disadvantage to gen-sets is they are not silent, although they are not particularly noisy. I can sleep through them--but that hum could be a problem for some. Using mains voltages allows the use of cheap domestic appliances--much cheaper than the marine variety. I throw them away when they fail, usually after a couple of years constant use. Three silent oscillating fans can be bought for the price of one noisy 12 volt dc fan of far less power, and when heat is no longer required, ac fans run OK through an inverter..

On another topic--I think anything less than 30 feet is just too small for living aboard. One needs a bit of room to stretch out in and if one becomes two anything smaller will just not do.

Last edited by Mike Banks; 10-08-2012 at 06:49 PM. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook