SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking to Purchase Cheoy 38 Offshore & Looking 4 Advice
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012
Bombay Explorer 44

TQA is on a distinguished road
Re: Looking to Purchase Cheoy 38 Offshore & Looking 4 Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstrattn View Post
If you are talking about a Cheoy Lee 38 Offshore, I would check out the Cheoy Lee association website as suggested for information that is reliable. I have owned a 1980 Cheoy Lee offshore 38 for 5 years and have had no problems with mine. These are very well built boats and many have made the journey around the world. Good examples that are ready for sailing are generally selling for 45-55K

They were not built in the far East to my knowledge rather they were built in the then British Hong Kong Cheoy Lee Shipyards. They claimed to be built to the Loyds standard.

There is lot's of Teak both on deck and below. Like most boats with Teak decks properly maintained will not leak. The teak Decks can be removed and I have seen a few that this has been done to -certainly an option if the decks are to far gone to repair.
There is a reason why they get called LEAKY TEAKIES you have accepted that they have lots of teak now accept that they also leak.

The leaks can be fixed but the ingress of water especially into the plywood cored decks usally means you have a rot problem to deal with as well.

Removing teak decks and the top skin and the rotten ply then cutting new ply to size and reskinning the deck is a monster job. Get the likes of Charlie Cobra to do it and I would guess at 20k + DIY 18 months hard part time graft and 18 months lost sailing.

There are LOTS of boats that can be sailed right away. Life is short go sailing!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook