SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opposition to liveaboards
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Opposition to liveaboards

I think it makes sense to have a liveaboard fee. Some marinas around me say no way to a liveaboard, others charge and yet others make no differentiation. Examples of marinas views:

No the county does not allow it (funny as several others in the same county do)

No we don't allow live aboard. (nasty place anyway)

Do what you want. (mooring, but no land services at all, except for an portolet)

Sure lots of folks spend the whole season on there boats, we like having folks around as it makes the barbeques more fun. No extra fee. (electric included in slip fee, full bathrooms and amenities including pool and gym)

What do I care, if anyone asks I will just say oh him, yea, he spends a lot of time on the boat no difference to me. No extra fee. (electric included in slip fee full bathrooms)

Great we have not had a live aboard for a few years, would love to have one again. Good for security (not a bad area at all in fact quite isolated) No extra fee. (electric included in slip fee, bathrooms but no showers)

One place even advertizes it but off season is $20 more a foot plus a $50 month charge and the electric is metered.

So there is a big variety. I am not sure some of the marinas really knew that was planning on not having any land address at all. Biggest issue for me is that there are only 2 marinas that have in water during the winter and both are 45 min drive from work but in opposite directions. Parking is not really an issue at either winter place, but might at some of the summer places.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook