SailNet Community - View Single Post - V berths
Thread: V berths
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: V berths

I think the whole V berth issue is going to hinge hugely on what boat's under discussion. The C34/36 have very large, roomy V berths with pretty decent in/out access, most Benes under 34 feet or so have the 'pushed forward no room for feet' syndrome big time, esp the late 80s early 90s models.

We have a fairly long V berth but narrow forward - it's our guest cabin and there've been no complaints.

Our aft is a quasi pullman.. sleeping fore and aft, with side access over half its length. If the inside sleeper has to get up it is a 'crawl over'.. I sleep on the easy-out side just to be able to check things at night easily when anchored.

The aft berths on the C-34 and 36 (and many others, Hunter included) are athwarship these days. No worries on calm nights but I do wonder at that motion as opposed to sleeping fore and aft. Sleeping across the boat is also not on as a sea berth, of course...

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook