SailNet Community - View Single Post - Stability information
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012
Life is a wild ride!

Dean101 is on a distinguished road
Re: Stability information

Barquito, one of your statements struck the root from which my curiosity springs. "If I where shopping, I would just generally look for boats that are seaworthy." But as a fairly inexperienced sailor, how do I know what is seaworthy? I don't think it would be smart on my part if I take the word of every seller. Sure, some might be telling the truth but how will I know if they are?

I get the feeling that seaworthiness is not a well-defined term. I read a lot of books and cruise through these forums looking for sound advice. The "offshore rules of thumb" (my term) stating that offshore boats should have capsize ratio's under 2.0, AVS of at least 140 degrees, ratings for offshore use, designed for offshore use, choose a seaworthy boat... well, those things sound reasonable. The only one of these things I can consistantly find on about every boat I've looked at is the capsize ratio, which doesn't seem to carry much weight. Finding AVS information and what any given older boat is designed or rated for is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack, and without some offshore experience on different boat designs how am I, the newbie, suppose to know what seaworthy is?

That's the view from my perspective. I don't have the money to buy, try, and then sell several boats till I figure it out. I'm trying to get a grip on what really makes a boat safe for offshore use so that when I get ready to buy, I'll know what to look for. I already know that the boat I buy will be from the used market, likely a few decades old. I know what I want to do with it. I'm simply trying to find a source for stability information on various older boats to help myself make an educated compromise when it comes time to buy.

@ Bob - I was using an online calculator. When I input the numbers, all of which were the same except the hull draft, I got greatly different numbers which taught me that even a small error in my input will return untrustworthy results. Me actually trying to calculate AVS by formula, even with totally accurate data, is laughable in the extreme! But seriously, your response comes from much knowledge and experience in your field. I respect that, but I do not have anything even close to your knowledge of how any given design will behave offshore. AVS information, if I can find a reliable and consistant source, for older boats will be one more thing I can put on a pro/con list for different boats I'm interested in. That, in turn, will paint a more accurate picture of each boat rather than focusing on just the "pretty" things.

I was a little long-winded there but I hope it helps to explain why I was asking about AVS.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook