SailNet Community - View Single Post - My new toy.
Thread: My new toy.
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: My new toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHNOOL View Post

Ok, this is a tough, one, and one I never was good at... when you feel the boat going over, climb over the high side, if your timing is good, you can get right out onto the centerboard, before she goes completely over. REALLY good timing, and you can drop over the side, bounce off the centerboard, and back into the boat... I've been known to release mainsheet, and body slam the high side of a boat to flatten it, but then I'm so big, I usually outweigh the hull of these smaller dinghies. This fat man can jump (if he's avoiding swimming). I got tired of sailing like that, so I moved up to a keel boat.

Dinghy sailing can be a blast, but it's also a harsh teacher.. with a couple "tricks," you'll be pushing it JUST to get wet. By the way, life jacket for you until you get a few more miles under your belt, um, K? Also good idea to keep the wife and or Significant other away from the boat until you get a better handle on things, no need to turn her off to sailing (just yet).

You have the right attitude! Keep us posted on your progress.
I've actually done this trick with climbing over to the center board and back to the cockpit on a Sunfish. Can't do it so easily today but...

Great advice and post from the SHNOOL. You are likely to keep capsizing until you get better at controlling the boat so a life jacket is a good call.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook