SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sending GX2150 AIS NMEA data to chart plotter over Bluetooth
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Re: Sending GX2150 AIS NMEA data to chart plotter over Bluetooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by audeojude View Post
what did you do to get opencpn to to load charts faster?

I created a separate chart directory that has vector and raster directorys in it and then I pointed opencpn to the top level chart directory.

Scott
I accidentally had two copies of the charts in two different subdirectories that OpenCPN was accessing through the top level directory. This was confusing the program and causing slow loading and crashes. Eliminating the duplicate copies was the single biggest improvement I made.

In addition to that, I minimize the number of charts that are available to OpenCPN by moving them out of the directory if I don't need them. Also, you will have noticed that OpenCPN needs to build some support files the first time a chart is accessed, so I make sure to do that ahead of time, so it doesn't have to do it when I'm relying on it for real-time use.

With those tweaks, OpenCPN has no problem running on my little netbook with Atom processor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook