SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailing characteristics ?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012

Pegu club is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing characteristics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jephotog View Post
Us crusty old salts like boats with more character than the C and Hs of the world, thus the beige comment and its popularity. Also be prepared for comments like your sailing a Clorox bottle or comparison to belly buttons, in that everyone has one.

Catalina has made 60,000 boats for a reason. They have okay sailing characteristics while providing as much space below as possible at a price point. They won't be the fastest or heaviest built but if you want a lot of space below and a large cockpit in a newer boat, for weekending and day sails to fit you, look no further.

If you want the respect of the members here though I would suggest a different boat preferably one designed by Bob Perry.
I understand the pedantic responses, "beige" etc, they can be humorous. As to weekends and day sails, I have spoken to many people who take their H's and Cs out for weeks at a time, so I'm thinking that their is some unfounded bias to some degree concerning this. The same type of discussions occur in my world when comparing hand built $10,000.00 carbon fiber racing bicycles( I own one) to their $4,000.00 competitors. The thing is that the production bikes do quite well and see the finish line first frequently.

I lurk/post here for information and insight, as to the need to be in the cool kids group...

Again thank you to those who shared their knowledge and experience , you have been quite helpful.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook