SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

do you use your boat as a car?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  smallboatlover 
#1 ·
i was wondering how many people do what i do and use my boat to get from one place to another locally though. like today im sailing from were my boat is and sailing down to the other side of town just to pull out my boat boat and do some work on it then sailing back to the mooring then going home. all instead of just going to the boat on the other side of town to pull it out.

#2 ·
at anything less then 5"6 of water my boat wants to turn into a car without wheels

Reactions: Jgbrown
#5 · (Edited)
Yes, we travelled by boat to attand a wedding 90 miles away and every year we travel by boat to attand a party. We often take the boat for dinner or Sunday brunch.

#7 ·
Huck the question makes sense but what you say about your boat doesn't. You're saying you can pull your boat out of the water either near the mooring or in a second location across town? Or are you talking about just one location?

And either way, if you need to take the boat someplace to haul it...what's that got to do with cars? You take it where you need to take it. I don't get it, what am I missing here?

#8 ·
Nothing makes sense hucks says, he has to come on and re write! :) ME, i use my boat to chase and tag Hobie sailors, we come within inches of each other. we just go back and forth going no where but to one end of lake and back! i have no where to go on my lake but out to play! :)

#10 ·
I wish they had shops with a moring instead of a car park as all I have is the boat to get around.

#11 ·
I only once used the boat to go to a restaurant on the water... although it's not as cool as the valet yacht parking I remember as a kid when my parents would sail up to dock and dine!

The ride up and back was memorable though, and a great full moon sail home in the dark, with my wife enjoying the experience more than I thought she would, shame it go so cool at night though. Next time blankets and/or hand warmers for the star-gazing after restaurant sail home. Great time!

#12 ·
If we include an inflatable, I use mine to commute every day. We have our boat tied to a dock down the slough about 1 mile from our Marine Canvas shop.. its faster to get to work by water.. My dink is also used to get me, and my work from one marina to another..
we live on the water, work on the water, and play on the water, and after a couple beers after work, I'm adding to the water.....

#15 ·
A friend of mine tried to use his car as a boat. That did not work out to well. The bass boat floated fine but the truck went down and just a bit of the roof stuck out. Fords don't float

#17 ·
what i ment is that i have 2 sailboats one at diffrent sides of the town. the one closer to me ( the big boat) took/ sailed to the other side of the town were the smaller boat was to haul that one out instead of just going to that on in the first place. Also i use the boat to bring freinds to lunch instead of just walking there or driving there just take the boat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.